Saturday, March 18, 2017

Archaic Grecian Statuary - nudity alert



For those of you looking for the naughty stuff in my sketchbooks, you won't likely find it here. I put the disclaimer on this blog because I discuss gender and sexuality here, but I have posted before about where I am posting the naughty stuff and if you care to see it, it is not difficult to find. And anyone really wishing to engage with my naughty drawings can easily contact me directly. I would love to share them with you.

Anyway, you will see nudity here occasionally, but mostly non-sexualized nudity. For example, these sketches from a photobook of Grecian funeral statuary. The head of a young man, examining the contours of how the hair is rendered and a Kouros or full standing figure. I saw several of these latter statues while visiting the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City back in the summer of 1989.

Besides an impressive collection of antiques, they also had an impressive sampling of Modern Painters and other artist's works, namely a very large Monet's Waterlilies which took up a full wall of the upstairs gallery and modern sculpture like Duane Hanson's "Security Guard", which I thought was very appropriate in a contemporary art museum.  I wish I'd had a weeks time to investigate the whole building, but of course these days they have more buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment