Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why Loren and Sylvia didn't become a four-panel strip

These Loren and Sylvia images are just odds and ends I put together while attempting to consider it as a four-panel strip cartoon.


As you can see here, I never got to the fourth panel.  I don't consider myself a very good "gag" writer.


One of the primary concepts for the comic was that Sylvia was angry, but she is angry because everyone around her is unreasonable, while Loren is pretty much the opposite, entirely unaware that the world around him is unreasonable.


I figured Loren would be very introspective, always questioning his inner motives and those of the people around him, as I was when I came out as a gay man.  Sometimes Sylvia was seemingly irrational, saying and doing whatever occurred to her at the time, other times she'd just end up in odd situations because people would be afraid to tell her the whole truth.


In many cases we intended Loren to be a sounding board and foil for Sylvia's outbursts.


The simplicity of the artwork leant itself to becoming a four-panel strip cartoon, but Loren and Sylvia didn't really succeed that way in my mind because the stories we wanted to tell were more complex than would fit in that minimal medium.

4 comments:

  1. Anger is a challenging emotion sometimes when trying to be funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, a school chum! Thanks for the comment. All the same, Lewis Black of Comedy Central seems to make finding the humor in anger quite simple.

    ReplyDelete